Does anyone else love pickles as much as I do? Do you get excited when a bloody mary comes with several different pickled veggies? To me, that salty, vinegary taste is to die for and I think almost any veggie could be delicious pickled, but today we are sticking with the classic cucumber. These are quick pickles so no need to sterilize jars, can, and wait for a long time to devour them. You can call it the cheater method but I like to think of it as the efficient method ;)
These are super easy and have a wonderful sweet and spicy flavor. They are great to use anywhere you would use regular pickles (sandwiches, burgers, etc.) and are also great on their own.
- 1 lb Pickling Cucumbers, sliced 1/8″ thick
- 1/2 cup Sweet Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1 cup White Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- Add sliced cucumbers and onions to a 32oz glass jar.
- Bring all other ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot pickling liquid over the cucumbers and onions to fill the jar.
- Allow to cool at room temperature then store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Véronique8/26/16 at 9:36 am
Good idea Jen! I have to say plain cucumber is not my fav, it must be nicer pickled. Have you tried with other veggies?Reply
Jen8/26/16 at 10:29 am
I haven’t tried this specific recipe with other veggies but I’m sure it would be delicious! My other fave veggies to pickle are green beans, carrots, cauliflower and radishes.
Emily9/1/16 at 12:28 pm
Ooh these remind me of the Famous Dave’s pickles we get at Costco. :) I love sweet and spicy pickles.Reply
Jen9/1/16 at 1:07 pm
Mmmmm. I haven’t tried those!